EFA Fallow Land Seed
To count as an EFA,
• Fallow land must be kept fallow from 1st of January to 30th of June.
• Fallow land must be located on arable land
• The minimum area of EFA Fallow is 0.01 ha with a minimum width of 2 metres
Areas occupied by the following can not count as EFA Fallow:
• Bales of hay or straw
• Farm machinery
Temporary grass can be used as EFA Fallow and then grazed or cut after 30 June 2018
During the EFA Fallow period (1st of January to 30th of June) farmers can do the following on their fallow land:
• Carry out land drainage work.
• Sow wild bird seed mixes and / or nectar or pollen sources.
• Top green cover or previous crop residue.
• Sow grass for reasons other than agricultural production.
• Plough the ground – as long as it is only to prepare for sowing grass, wild bird seed mixes and / or nectar / pollen sources.
Farmers must not:
• Harvest or graze the EFA Fallow area.
• Plant or sow any crop (apart from those allowed above).
• Apply fertiliser or manure unless required by sown grass, wild bird seed mixes and / or nectar / pollen sources.
• Apply plant protection products during the fallow period.
All information is correct at the time of writing. Please check the latest details with your local advisor or at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/bps-2018